Osimhen started the season on fire, but he has failed to find the net in his last two games
Former Italy junior international Alessandro Budel says that Victor Osimhen could not score against Genoa because he was stifled in the attack, Soccernet reports.
Napoli dropped points over the weekend when they took on Genoa in their fourth Serie A fixture. The Italian champions had to fight hard to rescue a 2-2 draw from the tie.
The newly-promoted Serie A side had a two-goal lead until the 76th minute when Giacomo Raspadori made it 2-1. Then Matteo Politano scored the second for Napoli to ensure both sides shared the spoils.
Napoli’s main man, Osimhen, could not wave his magic wand for his side on Saturday. The former Lille man started the campaign on fire, scoring three goals in his first two games, but he has been silent since then.
The prolific 24-year-old failed to score against Lazio and was off-target against Genoa. Osimhen registered just one goal attempt against the Serie A new boys despite playing the full match.
Budel, who spent his entire career in Italy, opines that a slight change in formation would have made things easier for the Nigerian star.
“Napoli players also have to get used to the innovations proposed by Garcia,” Budel said per Napoli Magazine.
“Osimhen, Kvaratskhelia, and Lobotka, are three great footballers, but defenders are now used to them, so they have very little spaces to work with.
“Osimhen against Genoa had few balls because Genoa didn’t allow depth. In the second half, he tried to get busy by going wide, but it was clear that alternatives needed to be created to allow him to play better. One could be to insert Raspadori because he would free up the spaces a little, and the Nigerian would be less alone.”
Napoli play Braga in the Champions League on Wednesday, and he would be looking to get back on the scoresheet…READFULL